Mike is a Partner at Tide Creek Financial Group, leading the firm's client acquisition and strategic marketing efforts, and participating in the firm's financial planning operations.
As a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional, Mike provides comprehensive financial services and specializes in employer financial planning.
Mike primarily serves the small to medium size business market and to the owners of these businesses. He looks strategically at protecting growing enterprises, attracting and retaining key employees, growing the owner's personal net worth, and planning for life beyond the business. Mike has tools that can measure the business's potential enterprise value and where the business's value could be based on several key drivers. Mike works with the business owner on the drivers that will most greatly impact the business moving forward.
"Beyond my degree, professional designations, and 12 years of experience, I understand small business needs because I come from a family of business owners," Mike explains. "I'm a business owner myself, so I understand making payroll, keeping clients happy, finding new clients, and being ready for the unexpected. The small business market is seriously under-served in this realm, but it's my specialty."
"I start by listening. I want to understand how your business started, how it developed, and where it is today. Next, I learn where you want the business to be and what may be stopping it from getting there. My business perspective is both learned and lived, so I ‘get' the challenges you face. If you're spending so much time working in your business that you don't have time to work on your business, we should talk."
Mike's dad owned a printing company in the Highlandtown neighborhood of Baltimore City. His mom was the CFO and bookkeeper. For many years the business thrived with his dad's hard work and the dedication of five employees. Once desktop publishing revolutionized printing, Mike's dad had to lay off staff and his mom took on a second job. There was a lot of stress at home and his dad's health suffered.
When the time came to cease business operations and sell the building and equipment, Mike had a striking realization: his dad had spent so much time working in his business, he didn't have time to work on his business. Mike wondered how things could have been different—and better—if his parents had worked with a professional financial advisor. This launched his passion to help small business owners plan for success.
Mike joined Tide Creek in 2017. A graduate of the University of Baltimore, he studied business administration and finance. He was born and raised in Baltimore County, MD.
- The University of Baltimore, B.S. in Business Administration and Finance, 2003
- The American College, Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®) Curriculum, 2014
- The American College, Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) Curriculum, 2016
- The CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Board of Standards, Inc., 2018
Designations & Awards
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®)
- Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®)
Memberships & Affiliations
- University of Baltimore Alumni Association
- Central Maryland Chamber, 2nd Vice Chairman
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Howard County Human Resources Society (HoCo HRS), Treasurer
- Chesapeake Human Resource Association (CHRA)
- Anne Arundel SHRM (ASHRM)