Chris is a Founding and Managing Partner of Tide Creek Financial Group. He is responsible for leading the firm’s financial planning operations and strategic vision.
As a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional, Chris guides his clients to improve their financial behaviors and make better decisions to help them achieve long-term financial success. He works to ensure that his clients make financial decisions in their best interests and help get them where they want to go in life. His goals are for his clients to build more wealth, protect their families, and avoid the financial mistakes that come with emotional decision making.
Chris’ clients come in all shapes and sizes, and from all over the country. While the bulk of his clients live and/or work in Maryland, his clients stretch as far as California and Alaska (no one in Hawaii…yet!). While his clients are diverse in background, they are united by the shared belief that financial guidance should be about more than just your investments and a balance sheet. His clients want the assurance that comes from having a financial professional who knows them on a personal level and is as committed to their financial success as they are.
“I enjoy getting to know my clients on a personal level. I want my clients to feel confident about their financial decisions—to know that I will consistently provide guidance and advice to ultimately achieve their goals.”
In 2003, Chris partnered with Mike Havlik to form The Havlik & Varlotta Group, an office of MetLife. In 2015, Chris and Mike hired a team and transformed their company into Tide Creek Financial Group, signifying the growth of their partnership.
Over his nearly 20-year career, Chris has earned various industry designations, including becoming a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional in 2012. He has also earned the CLU®, ChFC®, CASL® and RICP® designations from the American College of Financial Services, and is a qualifying and life member of the Million Dollar Round Table as well as a Top of the Table qualifier.
Chris joined MetLife in 2002 after graduating from Salisbury University, where he studied finance and marketing and was also a member of the university’s football team. Early on, Chris developed the simple, yet powerful belief that the best way to achieve something is to first plan for it. Today, this is ingrained in the culture of Tide Creek, where comprehensive financial planning serves as the firm’s foundation.
When not helping clients with financial matters, Chris enjoys giving back to his community as a volunteer high school football coach, as well as spending time with his wife, son, and daughter. Chris is a resident of Howard County, MD.
- Salisbury University, B.S. in Business Administration and Finance, 2002
- The American College, Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) Curriculum, 2006
- The American College, Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®) Curriculum, 2008
- The American College, Chartered Advisor for Senior Living (CASL®) Curriculum 2011
- The CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Board of Standards, Inc., 2012
- The American College, Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®) Curriculum, 2014
Designations & Awards
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®)
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®)
- Chartered Advisor for Senior Living (CASL®)
- Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®)
- Qualifying and Life Member, Million Dollar Round Table, Top of the Table Qualifier